Monday, June 12, 2006

A Mixed Week-End

And it was friday and then saturday came and sunday, and then was monday again.

Friday was indeed quite a day. After work, I did run to the Goethe Institut, where I'm currently studying german, where, being the first day of the World Football Championship Germany vs. Costarica, they organized a maxi screen to show the game. It was quit e a show. Not so much the game, even if that was emotional indeed, but seeing all these germans wearing their team's shirt and with painted flags on their cheeks cheering and having in the meanwhile a beer and krauts, was funny. To be noted the vast number of girls between 16 and 25 present, something definitely uncommon in italian terms, where soccer is still something predominantly for males.

Anyway, I saw the first half, then I went to class where our instructor number 2, Klaus, was evidently suffering trying to make his lesson and following the cheering and booes coming from the courtyard. Life can be unfair indeed. Eventually, we students were moved by his struggles and called a pause 15 minutes ahead and turned on the Tv for the last 2 minutes of the game, exactly in the moment when Germany scored the final forth goal (agains the 2 of Costarica).

After German, I once again sped and got to Campo dei Fiori where Liesbeth was celebrating, at a friend's house, her 25th Birthday with a bunch of people, mostly working at WFP and coming mainly from USA, Germany and Sweden. An interesting company indeed, despite the arrival of a group of pretty despicable individuals around midnight, and a party that went along until past 2 am when finally it moved to a disco. I parted company at that point tho, tired and in a sudden gloomy mood for a couple of things I had seen. Wouldn't mind to meet again some people I've met, tho, mainly an italian guy called Gabriele who seemed quite a guy and a couple of WFP interns called Ashley and Helena. Doubt that will happen anyway, at least that's the feeling I have.

Saturday was a heavy moving day (yes, we are still working on it) spent, as usual, in moving things around, unpacking, storing, sorting and hanging until my parents decided they just had to take me to this huge Ikea-like place. Now, I generally hate malls and large shops in general and I happen to despise them in the crowded week-ends, but my hatred reaches unthinkable levels when I find myself there without even needing or wanting to buy anything. So there I stayed, for almost three hours, dropping the occasional comment on this lamp or that shelves-system, wishing desperately I could had stayed happily home in the company of a good book.

Just to make things happier, one hour later we bumped in my brother who was there for buying a welding mask among other things (I dread to think about what he needs it for) and who immediately proceeded to demolishing every single item my parents had, after much debating, agreed upon and consequently starting the whole process again in what turned out to be a new version of Dante's Inferno. Argentina-Ivory Coast and then, having finished O'brian's book, "A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891-1924" (by Orlando Figes) closed the day for me, with no wish or energy to set foot out of the house again.

Sunday started as yet another moving day, but it had the nice twist of bringing some sort of internet to the house as I subscribed to a Dial up connection. Yes, it's slow and unstable. Yes, it taps my phone line so I can't receive calls anymore. Yes, analogical modems are noisy and technologically middle age, but I managed to see Susanne's smile and dreamy expression again over the webcam and thus all said before doesn't mean anything.

Also, in the afternoon, by a pure coincidence, I ended up playing basketball on the coolest court I've ever experienced. As the place of choice turned out to be unexpectedly closed, one of the persons gathered said the fateful sentence "I have a court". Now, usually, when someone says something like that as a last-moment fall-back plan, the "court" is little more than a piece of concrete surrounded by car and scattered with various obstacles, with a player population density exceeding the one of Honk Kong. And the person in question was a female, which started immediately an alarm bell in every guy present. So we looked at her, filled with doubt and pondering also on the fact that the suggested place was a good 6 kms away, but eventually we decided to check it out.

It turned out, she really meant she HAS a court in the owning way, as the place is on the roof of a 4 stores building hosting a school, HER school, and, being on the top of a high hill (monteverde), with an amazing 360 degrees view of Rome, Saint Peter's dome included. Simply amazing. At least, I could blame it on the altitude if, after just half a hour, I found out I had problems breathing. NO, It's not that it's two months I do not go to gym, it's the altitude, I said.

No comments: