Monday, October 02, 2006

The Curse on my Scooter and Something Good out of it

Friday evening my scooter was almost stolen in Piazza della Cancelleria, behind Campo dei Fiori, at 9 PM of a friday, with hundreds of people passing by and a company of policemen just 50 meters away. What happened, I returned to my scooter after having had a drink with a friend and caught two people happily and undisturbedly intent in connecting the wires of my scooter and,as it turned out, only within seconds from the moment thay would had started it and taken it away. They fled as I approached, but left my scooter crippled and unable to start. I left it in a garage nearby for the night and today I was looking for a solution to the problem.

Now, to put this into contest, this particular scooter I have must be under some kind of curse as in the last 2 years it has been targeted by "micro-criminality" acts 5 times. The first time, while in the guarded garage under my former house, someone opened it and took away my new helms. The second time, again in the garage, someone (maybe the same person?) took away the whole plastic frontal section of the scooter. The man of the garage paid for all the repairations, but still that was pretty annoying. Months later, while parked in the street, someone took away the little lamp that lights the scooter plate. Some months later again, in broad daylight and when parked in a very busy street with hundreds of passer-bys, someone tried to open the small back-trunk and get the helms once again (the attempt failed, but I had to change the trunk as the lock got broken and couldn't be opened anymore)

What's the good out of it? Saturday morning, after some searches, I found a mechanic that was opened on saturday morning even being downtown, which it's not so easy indeed. It was at 1, 5 kms from where my 120+ kgs the scooter was parked, but better than nothing.

As I was walking form the mechanic back to the scooter, my thoughts lost in a sad analysis of how heavy it would had been to push the scooter all the way back, I heard behind me a "scusi" (something like "I beg your pardon" in the italian formal way). Now, I'm not so used to be addressed in the formal way, especially when I'm dressed with a simple and worn t-shirt, so I kept going, thinking it wasn't me the one addressd. But the "scusi" repeated itself twice and at the same distance, despite my walking on, so it was clear that someone was following me. I stopped, turned and, given my wretched mood, I prepared myself to confront a bold beggar or, at best (but I really didn't hope so), a foreigner looking for directions (I've this thing about me that leads foreigners to always ask me for directions, which is fun in a way, but not that morning).

Instead, I found myself in front of a girl who, still using the very formal third person, simply asked, in italian, something like "Sorry, are you the famous Guido of the VCN?". I was, to say the least, caught off guard and I can't even remember what I said and in which language I said it, but she just added something like "I just wanted to tell you get recognized and wanted to thank you for all the help you give over the list". Well, again, I have no idea what I said, and we just parted.

The whole thing did last less than a minute, but the point is, while I still had to push my 120+ kgs scooter for a kilometer and a half, but I did that smiling, rather than grumbling... ok, not while I had to push it up a slope, I'm only human after all, but you get the point.

So, the end of it is: thank you, whoever you were (she knew mine, but I didn't get to know her name), for having made my effort lighter and my mood better that morning. Pity that today some asshole from the very same list turned sour that very nice moment. Such is life, I suppose, and the world is full of idiots.

No comments: