Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Lost (&) Movies - (The Weather Man - Walk the Line)

Lost

Yesterday evening I happened to give a general look at the first half "Lost" pilot and then to watch more carefully the second half. Well, wow. For some things it reminds me of the first series of X-files, but it's actually faster, with more charachters, more plot and a very different style of narration with the story going in parallel with flashbacks detailing the main charachters and following the "no one is what he looks like" approach.

All around I really liked that. No wonder it was such a success in the States, I will dare to say it's unlike any series I have seen so far and made it already among my favourite ones together with X-files, ER, Babylon 5, Law & Order, The Sopranos and... well, several others. Definitely, will take the place of ER as the series I do watch with my father (kind of a tradition... we watched together for years ER on mondays and X-files on thursdays).

(&) Movies

Over the week-end, or rather on saturday evening, I got to see two different movies (yes, one after the other, making it almost 5 hours spent in the cinema). One was "The Weather Man" with Nicholas Cage and Michael Caine, the other was "Walk the Line" with Joaquin Phoenix and the now Academy Awarded Reese Whiterspoon.

The Weather Man

Well, I was surprised. From the trailers (which show a poor Nicholas Cage being the target of milk shakes and various other stuff thrown at him from passing cars and him going around with a bow on his shoulder to avoid that) and a treacherous review on a newspaper by someone who evidently hadn't even seen the movie, I expected a light comedy. It's not, even if you do get to laugh as well.

In a way, it reminds me of "American Beauty", with the main charachter facing the hardship of every day life, especially the relationship with an almost ex wife, a grossly overweight and unhappy daughter and a naive son who apparently can't keep but putting himself in even more troubles. With much self-analysis moments by Cage and a cameo-like but great appearance of Caine (who is one of my all time favourite actors), the movie was totally different from what I expected, and yet was pretty good.

Main line? "Easy doesn't enter into grown-up life"

Walk the Line

Johnny Cash's life from his childhood to the concert at Folsom prison. There is not really much to say about the movie per se. As any biographic movie, it has a plot as good as the life of the person in it, and if that hadn't been interesting, you wouldn't had known of the person in the first place.

What is notable about the movie, besides the good performance of both Phoenix and Whiterspoon, is the great soundtrack made of solid gospels, blues and rock & rolls. A bit disappointing the Jerry Lee Lewis side charachter, but then I did love Dannis Quaid's one in "Great Balls of Fire".

Only problem, the "south" accent... gee, if that is hard to grasp now and then.

Main line:
"When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,
always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.
But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die
now every time I hear that whistle I hang my head and cry.."

No comments: